Friday, November 15, 2013

Skillet Baked Spaghetti with Meat Sauce {Foodie Friday}

Ah spaghetti. I love spaghetti. It's a quick, easy and delicious meal. It's one of the few dishes my daughter, Caroline will eat, so it is served at our house just about weekly. I was flipping through America's Test Kitchen cookbook when I stumbled on this recipe that said I could make the whole meal in one pot. Say What?!

As the resident dishwasher at our house, I was so excited. One pot for meat, noodles and sauce. My manicure thanks you (who am I kidding. I haven't had a manicure in years) It took me half a dozen tries to get the recipe to my liking. This is not your typical Spaghetti recipe. This has literally changed my life. I love it and look forward to making it every time. I know your family will love it too!

One Year Ago: Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup

Two Years Ago: Snickerdoodles

Skillet Baked Spaghetti with Meat Sauce


Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp dried oregano (or a lot of the fresh stuff, chopped)
1 23.5 ounce jar of spaghetti sauce
10 ounces spaghetti, broken into rough 2 inch pieces
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
3 TB chopped fresh basil
1 cup italian cheese blend (I use shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan)

Directions:
Adjust an oven rack to the upper-middle position and heat the broiler. Cook the beef in a large oven safe nonstick skillet over medium heat, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Pour off the fat from the skillet. Add the garlic, pepper flakes, and oregano and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in the spaghetti sauce, water, and salt. Slowly add the spaghetti while stirring (this is to prevent them from flying everywhere, trust me. I know from experience.) Cover and cook, stirring often, until the spaghetti begins to soften, about 7 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, covered, until the spaghetti is al dente, about 7 minutes.
Stir in the basil, and 1/3 cup of the cheese. Sprinkle with the remaining 2/3 cup cheese and broil until the surface is spotty brown, about 3 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes. Serve.

**You can adjust the spices to your liking. My DH likes a lot of oregano. I prefer more basil. 

Adapted from: America's Test Kitchen




1 comment:

  1. Hi Amanda! I love one pot meals, especially ones that include pasta and cheesy goodness. Thanks for sharing on the weekend re-Treat link party!

    Britni @ Play. Party. Pin.

    ReplyDelete