Friday, December 28, 2012

Raspberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake {Foodie Friday}






I usually try to stay about 4 weeks ahead with the recipes, but being pregnant this fall, having Christmas season craziness and the giant speed bump that just hit our life set me back, so it's no joke when I say that this just came out of my oven.
It's supposed to be for breakfast today, but we ended up eating it for dessert last night and then again for breakfast. I'm not a big raspberry fan, but I found myself in possession of about 3 cups of fresh raspberries. That much fruit has a way of spoiling in this house, so I found this recipe to prevent that. I would like to try it also with blueberries and/or strawberries. Can't wait for spring!

**Two notes: I don't have a springform pan, so I used a 9" cake pan. It took about an hour to bake fully. Also, I did not have a lemon for lemon zest, so I substituted about a teaspoon of lemon juice.


Raspberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake


Yield: about 12 servings

Ingredients

For the crumb topping:
½ cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
Zest of ½ lemon
4 tbsp. (2 oz.) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly

For the cake:
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups fresh raspberries

Directions

·         Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Lightly grease and flour and 10-inch springform pan. To make the crumb topping, combine the flour, granulated sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl and whisk to blend. Add the melted butter and stir with a fork until the mixture is crumbly. Set aside.

·         To make the cake, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream and vanilla until well blended. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the liquid ingredients. Fold together gently until evenly mixed and no streaks remain, being careful not to over mix. Spread the batter into the prepared pan in an even layer. Dot the top of the batter with the raspberries. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the berries.

·         Bake until the topping is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 38-42 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes. Remove the sides of the springform pan. Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into wedges.

 Source: Annie’s Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment